Forum for Owners and Enthusiasts of the Oettinger 16V Engine

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bought this car recently

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bought this car recently on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:12 am

FlugGTI

I was in contact with this guy after a friend saw this car at Waterwagens in ~2004. I tracked him down by calling Stay Tuned Motorsports (the stickers all over the windows), and Stay Tuned Dave put me in touch with the owner who was located in Spokane, WA.

Since I am a pilot, as soon as I had a layover there, I met up with him so I could see how he did some things.

My car was not runing at the time and I was trying to figure out how to make an EFI fuel rail work under the "snake" manifold.

Long story short, the owner called me this spring saying he was getting rid of it, and if I was interested in buying it. I obviously didn't have much of a need for TWO Oettinger 16V Rabbits, but the thought of someone geting this car and destroying it because they had no idea what it was, bothered me (he was advertising it on Craigslist for a pretty modest asking price).

2 so now you own two on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:57 pm

romaingirardlamamy

Hi Eric
glad to see this new website
and i was wondering who bought it so glad to ear you did
so which one do you prefer N/A or Turbocharged?? Laughing
you well know for our valves group buy if in need Razz
getting really impatient to get my head done Evil or Very Mad
looking forward to see what you will do with the new one
Romain

3 Re: Bought this car recently on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 pm

FlugGTI

Bonjour Romain!

This new car has been ridden a little hard but I am pleased to see the previous owner built it for that task and used it as such...

He drag raced it and even had a 50 shot of nitrous on it...the glovebox was full of time slips, most were around 13.0 but the best was a 12.89.

Long story but this car was intended to be bought/owned by a friend of mine, but he dissapeared so I am kind of stuck with it. As such, I didn't have major plans to change this car...but since I own it now, a few thoughts have crossed my mind:

1. Recaro LS's recovered in green plaid fabric like I've seen in a factory Viper Green MKI Scirocco, and add a rear seat and shelf

2. Cabrio dashboard, so I can fit my VW Motorsports 9000RPM tach Very Happy This car has the original dash in mint shape (and yes the car is a swallowtail 1975 model)

3. Put a better suspension on it...the thing handles and is set up awesome...as long as the road is perfectly smooth...but any bumps bottom the fronts hard. I have KW Variant 3's on my other car, and it is amazing how well the damping is handled on so little suspension travel.

4. If I end up rebuilding the engine, I think it would be massively cool to source a 1.5 or 1.6, and build a Berg-Cup style engine (9,000+ rpm) on throttle bodies or carbs. Of course, that would probably kill me on $$$, and it would be a bit daunting to be experimenting with an engine as rare as this...

4 Re: Bought this car recently on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm

romaingirardlamamy

for the engine i m kind of going this way
i got a brand new 90.5mm oettinger crank Very Happy
(the vw and seat kitcar engine run 90mm)
so i get the extras capacity but i can still rev it pretty high i m planning of revving up to 8500 rpms Twisted Evil
and yes all the goodies are not cheap affraid
going for customs rods (longer)and pistons (82.5mm)

an 80 mm crank could get 9500 rpms quite easyly i reckon

you could do it with this engine just get a good 1.6 crank and just have custom mades rods so you could keep the same piston you then might have some issue on CR

glad to ear that the variant 3 are that good confort wise so far lot of people told me that was going to be too hard

5 Re: Bought this car recently on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 pm

FlugGTI

Oh, the V3's will definitly be VERY STIFF, but I have yet to have them bottom out. My turbo oettinger car is obviously a bit heavier on the front end so I have the Cabriolet V3's with a bit firmer front springs if I remember right.

6 Re: Bought this car recently on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 pm

RubenG

FlugGTI wrote:Oh, the V3's will definitly be VERY STIFF,

I thought these are adjustable. Did you get a higher rated spring?

7 Re: Bought this car recently on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm

FlugGTI

Hey Ruben, they are indeed compression/rebound adjustable...

Yes the front spring rates are a bit higher...I have at least an extra 50-60lb of turbo crap hanging off the front of my car

8 Re: Bought this car recently on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:13 am

romaingirardlamamy

Well
if you want to get reed of your turbo crap
I m happy to help you Razz

Last edited by romaingirardlamamy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

9 Re: Bought this car recently on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:07 pm

RubenG

romaingirardlamamy wrote:Well
if you want to get reed of your crap
I m happy to help you Razz

I just bought the same suspension.....still new in the box and awaiting to be installed. Twisted Evil

10 Re: Bought this car recently on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 pm

romaingirardlamamy

I really got to get reed of my konis

well done guys now i definitly have to have those

Ruben did you received your gearbox kit?
let us know

Romain

11 Re: Bought this car recently on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm

FlugGTI

Well I am considering selling this green car already...I really don't think I have the time, motivation or $$ to make it like I want it.

PS: the forum really got slow didn't it? Razz I guess car season is just about over, at least here in Colorado!

12 Re: Bought this car recently on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm

RubensRoc

FlugGTI wrote:Well I am considering selling this green car already...I really don't think I have the time, motivation or $$ to make it like I want it.

PS: the forum really got slow didn't it? Razz I guess car season is just about over, at least here in Colorado!

Prolly for the best you let it go to someone who has the time and money....this will allow you to stay focused on your turbo. Let Matt know about this....he may still interested.

As soon as Randy and I finish the paint, I'll post pics of the progress. Interest always goes up when new pics are provided.

~R

13 Re: Bought this car recently on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:18 pm

FlugGTI

Indeed, and I have a TON of pics I need to get aroudn to posting one day.

14 Re: Bought this car recently on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 am

saddest6day66

RubensRoc wrote:
FlugGTI wrote:Well I am considering selling this green car already...I really don't think I have the time, motivation or $$ to make it like I want it.

Prolly for the best you let it go to someone who has the time and money....this will allow you to stay focused on your turbo. Let Matt know about this....he may still interested.

~R

Please do contact me if this is the case. I am very interested still..

15 Re: Bought this car recently on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 am

saddest6day66

Not sure if you missed my PM's Eric, trying to get in touch with you. Please shoot me a PM or email me directly!

mmurray@eastwood.com

Thanks!

-Matt

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum